Sainsbury’s to partner with Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons
27 March 2012
Sainsbury’s today is proud to announce its partnership with the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Beacons. Beacon lightings will take place across the country on Monday 4th June, as part of the celebrations planned by Buckingham Palace for the Jubilee weekend. Over 2012 beacons will be lit between 10pm and 10.30pm on Monday 4th June.
Mark Rigby, Jubilee spokesperson, Sainsbury's says: "We are delighted to partner with the historic Diamond Jubilee Beacons event. The Beacons partnership allows us to share in the Jubilee weekend celebrations with customers throughout the UK in the local communities our stores serve."
As part of the partnership, Sainsbury's will be offering significant discounts to beacon holders to help them prepare for their lighting ceremony celebrations. Sainsbury's stores around the country will also be making contact with key beacon party organisers to help them get in touch with their local communities to make the most of their celebrations, as well as providing beacon party 'starter' kits and discounts on shopping.
Bruno Peek OBE MVO OPR, Pageantmaster of The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Beacons said: "I am delighted that Sainsbury's have joined this unique, historic project celebrating such an important anniversary, especially as it is their aim to assist the many Beacon Coordinators enhance their event on Monday 4th June this year".
Beacons have been used for hundreds of years as a tool for communication and have been enjoyed during Royal Wedding, Jubilee and Coronation celebrations for many years. Now a symbol of unity across towns, borders, countries and continents, beacons were lit in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and in 1977 and 2002 beacons were lit to celebrate The Queen's Silver and Golden Jubilees.
On Monday 4th June, more than 2012 beacons will light up the length and breadth of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, the Commonwealth and other countries around the world to mark 60 years of the Queen's reign and this is believed to be the highest number ever lit since records began.
Sainsbury's will be supporting a number of events over the Jubilee weekend, including Sainsbury's Jubilee Family Festival in Hyde Park on the 2nd and 3rd June and the Thames Riverboat Pageant, where two boats will carry Sainsbury's guests and colleagues. The retailer is also the lead corporate sponsor for the Woodland Trust's Jubilee Woods Project, which aims to plant six million native British trees to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
For more information on how to request a beacon: www.diamondjubileebeacons.co.uk
Notes to editors
Sainsbury's Jubilee Activity
'The Jubilee Family Festival Presented by Sainsbury's' will take place in Hyde Park, on Saturday 2 June and Sunday 3 June 2012 and will be a once in a lifetime experience for the whole family to enjoy. Visitors will be treated to some of the nation's best live music and entertainment including an unforgettable 70 minute Disney Concert produced specially to mark the Jubilee celebrations. The Festival will have a capacity for 50,000 ticket holders on each day and world famous promoter Harvey Goldsmith CBE, is organising the Festival on behalf of Sainsbury's.
Woodland Trust Jubilee Woods Project
Sainsbury's is the lead corporate sponsor for the Woodland Trust's Jubilee Woods Project, which aims to plant six million native British trees to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. The announcement was made as Her Majesty The Queen and HRH The Princess Royal planted trees at the new 20 acre Jubilee Wood on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on 3rd February 2012 to celebrate the project. Over the next fifteen months, Sainsbury's will be supporting the project and raising £1.5 million for tree planting by:
- Increasing the number of donations made from products in store. Sainsbury's already donates 1p from every dozen Woodland eggs sold, 2p from Woodland chicken and 10p from Woodland turkeys to the Woodland Trust. This will extend to other products including cereals and everyday household items
- Giving customers the opportunity to make a 'pledge' in store to plant a tree to mark the Diamond Jubilee
- Promoting activity through the retailer's Active Kids scheme, to encourage schools to plant trees
Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant
- Sainsbury's has been announced as the first major corporate partner of the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant, the 1,000-boat tribute to Her Majesty The Queen's 60-year reign. One of the largest public events ever held in London, the Pageant will take place on Sunday 3rd June - on the river from Putney to Tower Bridge. The flotilla itself will be over seven miles long and - including mustering, dispersal and the avenue of sail - will include some 25 miles of Thames river bank and pass under 14 bridges. It will take 90 minutes to pass any given point.
- This unique spectacle, inspired by a rich history and tradition of entertainment and theatre on the Thames, is expected to include 20,000 participants on the water, millions of spectators on the river banks and London's public spaces and a global audience expected by the major broadcasters to number many hundreds of millions.
- Lord Salisbury, Chairman of the Thames Diamond Jubilee Foundation, said: "Our aspirations for this wonderful tribute to The Queen are coming together very well. We are delighted that The Prince of Wales has agreed to be our Patron. We are also very pleased to be able to announce Sainsbury's as our first major corporate partner. This is a hugely ambitious project and it is gathering momentum day by day."
- Justin King, Sainsbury's Chief Executive said: "We're proud to be part of what's set to be a spectacular event marking the Queen's 60 year reign. It's a celebration that all of our customers and colleagues will be able to enjoy."