Sainsbury’s to launch 100% Scottish pork range
22 June 2012
This September, Sainsbury's will be extending its Scottish pork range to offer 100% Scottish pork across the core and basics range. Announcing the positive move this week at the Royal Highland Show, it highlights Sainsbury’s commitment to offer customers locally sourced quality products.
Launching at the end of September in 34 stores, the range is being extended to include 8 new products such as Scottish by Sainsbury's Pork leg Escalopes and Basics Pork Chops. Working with Scottish farmers, the plan is to double the amount of Scottish pork sourced over the next year.
Joanna Walker, Sainsbury's Pork Buyer said: "We're really pleased to be able to make this announcement as it's great news for Scottish farmers as well as our customers.
It feels like a natural step towards supporting Scottish suppliers and to offer our Scottish customers quality products that are value for money and produced locally - we look forward to extending our regional offering in the future."
Aberdeenshire pig farmer Philip Sleigh, chairman of NFU Scotland's Pigs Committeeadds: "Having a major retailer committing to 100 percent fresh Scottish pork across its key ranges by September is just the fillip producers we need as they head into an uncertain autumn. The costs associated with keeping pigs look set to rise but having this kind of support for Scottish pork gives greater confidence in the future. We look forward to meeting with Sainsburys at the show to reassure them of the high standards being met on Scottish farms and discuss the potential for getting even more Scottish pork, ham and bacon onto their Scottish shelves for consumers to enjoy."
Notes to Editor
- Sainsbury's has 67 stores in Scotland, 34 supermarkets and 33 convenience stores
- 100% Scottish pork by Sainsbury's and Basics range and will be available in the 34 supermarkets in Scotland
- The Taste the Difference fresh pork range is British outdoor bred Hampshire breed pigs, sourced from our Freedom Foods accredited farms in Yorkshire
- Dutch and Danish pork products will be available during promotion
- By 2020 Sainsbury's will double the amount of British food we sell
- By 2020 Sainsbury's will source all key raw materials and commodities sustainably to an independent standard
- Sainsbury's is committed to offering British products at their best, when in season and when the quality meets our customers' expectations
- We are committed to promoting Scottish products in our stores and have worked with Scotland Food & Drink for a number of years, including on the first Scotland Food & Drink Supplier Development Programme in 2009
- We opened our 1000th store at Irvine in November. We created 248 new jobs, 47 of which went to people who were previously unemployed. We also donated £200,000 to enhance the town centre and provide new play facilities for local residents.